Structure of the Sun
From PGSC Wiki
Questions in this category have been asked by MT, PJ, DC, EB, SR
- Where are the convection & radiative zones?
- What causes the transition?
- How does opacity vary throughout the convective layer?
- What causes the opacity?
- How does the picture change for a 5 Solar Mass Star?
- What about at 0.2 Solar Mass Star? Why?
- Does the Sun rotate & how do we know?
- Where does it rotate fastest?
- Is it solid body rotation?
- How has this been confirmed experimentally?
- What will happen to the sun after it leaves the main sequence? (PJ)
- How does the energy released in this phase compare with the energy released during the main sequence?
- Draw the rest of the evolutionary track for the sun and describe the physics of all the phases.
- What are the line-broadening mechanisms and where do they occur?
- What is the surface temp. of the sun? What is the core temp?
- What is the level of variability of the sun? How does this compare to the variability of other stars?
- What is the energy produced for the reaction involving neutrino?
- What are the experiments to detect the neutrinos and the reactions involve.
- What is our current best estimate of the neutrino mass, and how is it obtained?
- How was SN1987A used to place a limit on the neutrino mass? What was this limit? (MT)
- Write down PPI. Which is the slowest step, and what is its lifetime?
- If the nuclear burning in the sun turned off instantaneously, when would we know? (SR)