From PGSC Wiki
Questions in this category have been asked by DC, PJ
- Can you get pulsed emission from a compact object?
- What are X-ray pulsars & why do we observe pulsed X-ray emission?
- What is a radio pulsar?
- What powers it?
- How can we measure the power radiated?
- What are typical pulsar periods?
- What's the difference between millisecond and second pulsars?
- Why is the period approximately constant?
- Why does it decay?
- Why does the B field decay?
- What's the significance of the Hulse-Taylor binary pulsar?
- What do you know about gravitational radiation?
- What's the significance of the Crab nebula?
- What is the radiation mechanism in the Crab nebula
- How does the crab pulsar transfer energy to the rest of the nebula?
- Plot the arrival time vs time for the Hulse Taylor pulsar. Explain why it is so. Is the binary eccentric?
- Trick question: What prevents a neutron star from collapsing (NOT the fermi degeneracy pressure of neutrons). What is the maximum mass?
- How would you define the regime of "Strong Gravity". Is the Hulse Taylor Pulsar in the Strong Gravity Regime? (SR)
- Describe the formation scenario for a Neutron Star-Neutron Star binary system. (SH)