From PGSC Wiki
Questions in this category have been asked by MT, PJ
- Draw evolution of 8 Solar Mass Star from Pre-MS phase to end of life.
- What is the Hayashi Track?
- What is on the diagram at cooler temps?
- What is the luminosity-mass relation for main-sequence stars?
- How do you draw lines of constant radius?
- Talk about the HR diagram and its inhabitants.
a bit redundant but on a different exam DC asked:
- Draw an HR diagram, label T and L axes
- List different spectral classes and their temperatures
- draw the evolution of a star like the sun
- name the branches
- what is helium flash? where is it on the evolutionary track? describe it.
follow-up by PJ:
- what is the end product of the star? What supports a WD?
- what supports a brown dwarf? is that related to the fact that they don't start fusion?
- is triple-alpha a 3-body interaction?
- does the helium flash actually lead to an explosion?
- What is the dominant radiation mechanism in a planetary nebula around a white dwarf?
- Draw an HR diagram of a 5 billion yr old globular cluster? What is the mass of the turnoff point?
- Describe the stars evolution. (AB)
- After the AGB, what happens? What powers a planetary nebula? How can you get mass loss? (SR)